|Posted by HamutaroXRibon on July 14, 2011 at 12:47 AM|
Top 5 vegetables for guinea pigs!
There are many different vegetables that guinea pigs like to eat, and can eat. But this is a little list I put together after a lot of research of the top 5 guinea pig vegetables! These vegetables are not in any specific ordor, but are the 5 most commonly given vegetables, as well as the 5 most liked vejetables by the guinea pigs them selves!
Each vegetable will have a little description, as well as its nutrition status, and the amount of stars it is given for guinea pig likes! 3 -5
3 *** = This is a very common vegetable that many piggies like. 4 **** = Guinea pigs LOVE this vegetable. and 5 ***** = Guinea pigs love it so much that they will fight for it!
1. Bell peppers (green or red) ~ This is a great vegetable to give to guinea pigs, It is high in vitamin C, and is very good for guinea pigs. The red peppers are a bit sweeter then the green ones, so take that in mind. Remove all seeds before giving to guinea pig. Guinea pig rating: *** - **** (3-4) Some guinea pigs like bell peppers while other LOVE bell peppers.
2. Carrots- Good vegetable for guinea pigs in moderation. This vegetable is also high in vitamin C and therefore good for guinea pigs. It contains lots of sugars though, so should be given in moderations. Guinea pigs can eat the tops and leaves of the carrots as long as they are clean (So don't throw them away, save those carrot tops for the piggies) Guinea pig rating:**** - ***** (4-5) Most guinea pigs love carrots, others love them so much they will fight for them!
3. Cucumbers - does not have any specific nutritional value for piggies. But is very high in water, and is great for those thristy piggies on a hot day. Many guinea pigs also like cucumbers as treats, because they are nice and cool. Guinea pig rating: **** (4) Guinea pigs LOVE this tastey watery treat
4. Lettuce - This watery deliciouse vegetable is packed with nutrition. Vitamin c, calcium, and so much more. Some types of lettuce have no beneficial values such as iceberg lettuce and should not be given to guinea pigs, Also keep this vegetable to moderations as it does produce a very gasy little piggie, and too much of it will upset their stomachs.Guinea pig rating: **** - ***** (4 -5) Guinea pigs love a good leaf or too of a tastey healthy lettuce.
5. Celery - Yet another vegetable full of vitamin C. (Good because piggies need it) This is a good watery vitamin c packed vegetable that is fun to chew on yet healthy. Remove the big stringy parts as they may produce a chocking hazerd, and get stuck in teeth. guinea pig rating: *** - ***** (3 - 5) Some piggies just like this vegetable, while others LOVE it.
Fact: Did you know guinea pigs can not produce their own vitamin C? So these vegetables are very important for their diet so that they can recieve that vitamin C and grow healthy.
Categories: Guinea pigs