The Animals Guide

Where the animals roam

Forums

Forum Home > Guinea pig diet, food, and nutrition > Guinea pig cooking! Recipes for homemade treats :)

HamutaroXRibon
Site Owner

Hey everyone!

A lot of people have been asking lately for guinea pig cooking tips, and recipes. So I thought I would make a little thread all about it :)

* Also I just want to remind you guys that these are not my own original recipes, but I have found them, and approved them*

This is the first guinea pig cookie recipe:

Calypso's version uses the following ingredients:

1/2 banana, mashed

1 small carrot, pureed

1 tablespoon honey

1/4 cup guinea pig pellets, finely ground

1/4 cup rolled oats, finely ground

(A soda-bottle cap may be used as a biscuit cutter.)

now this is the instructions to cooking the cookies according to the website they were found on

"Mix pureed carrot, banana and honey in a medium bowl. Add pellet powder and ground oats. Mix until blended. Knead in your hands for 1-2 minutes. Roll out the "dough" in 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick layers between sheets of plastic wrap. Cut into small cookies (about 3/4 inch across). Place cut shapes onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes (check to make sure they are not browning too much). Turn off the heat and let the cookies sit in the warm oven for an hour or so."

This recipe will produce a batch of cookies, so a good suggestion would be to find a nice box, and place all the cookies in it, so that you can save the cookies that the guinea pig does not eat that exact same day. Also do not worry about them going bad, as dry food tends to last for a little while. Of course don't hide them in the cabinet for the next year and realize that you have a bunch of guinea pig cookies in the back left since last january -_-

Now here is the next guinea pig cookie recipe that I found.

1 cup flour

2 cups Oxbow or Kleenmama's guinea pig pellets, or other small guinea pig food

2/3 cup water

6 tablespoons canola oil

2 tablespoons honey

For this one. Just mix every thing together, and bake in the oven at Bake at 350ºF (176.667 degree Celsius) for about 20 minutes, until they are ready.

It is pretty simple, so I hope you guys will have fun making these tastey treats!

Also a lot of people have been asking about the honey, and weather it is o.k for guinea pigs If honey is a worry for you then you can put less of it in the batch. But these recipes are for a batch of cookies, not just one so the amount of honey in one cookie is not so huge. And the only reason that honey would be bad is because its high in sugar and sticky. So some people believe it could get stuck in the animal. So of course I would not serve a bowl of honey to a guinea pig, but a little of honey in a treat mix is ok. As most treats bought have honey in them any way, and you will ge better results with your home made treat anyways.

these are  the link to the original makers of the cookie batches

http://guineapigfun.com/biscuitscookies.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Home-Made-Guinea-Pig-Treats

Parts of this post was originally from an answer I wrote to one of the members here on this  forum, on yahoo when they asked me for guinea pig cookie recipes. So I thought it would be nice to take my answr and place it here, so that the rest of us can enjoy it as well :)

\Hope you guys like it and that your guinea pigs love it :)

--

HamutaroXribon (The Animals Guide)

July 21, 2011 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gabbels

man when I saw the name of the post it just said: "Guinea pig Cooking! Recipies" and I was like... O.o cooking guinea pigs?? oh but.... ahh I see now. I wanna eat the cookies now! 83

July 23, 2011 at 10:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

HamutaroXRibon
Site Owner

Ahahah. Woops. That would be pretty bad... I have seen pictures on google of *gulps (feels sick thinking about it)  you know... What you thought... *can't even think about it :/*  Ahh it was horifing. . I searched guinea pigs...Oh well.. Anyways... haha yea it is funny how some of these could actually taste decent if we took away the guinea pig pallets :) but I am sure our guinea pigs think that the pallets are an amazing addition :D

--

HamutaroXribon (The Animals Guide)

July 23, 2011 at 11:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gabbels

lol Ikr! I remember when I got my first guinea pig when I was 5, I had no idea what they were so I googled it and saw a lovely crispy meal on a plater of letuce! :o (RIP Piglet you had a good long 6 and a half years of fun, food and friends) :(

July 24, 2011 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.